Are you worried about your Chevrolet Equinox service stabilitrak? You don’t have to be—the Chevy Equinox has one of the best stability tracking systems available on the market. Stabilitrak technology enhances cornering braking and aids drivers in hazardous conditions.
In this blog from Tony Flynn, we’ll discuss the meaning of the StabiliTrak service message on your Equinox and offer a few tips to maintain the system. Keep reading to learn more!
Chevrolet Equinox service stabilitrak signs
Normal driving will not reveal the loss of StabiliTrak assistance. It only turns on if it notices that you are steering your Equinox in the wrong direction or if it notices that you have overcorrected a skid. When it engages, you’ll typically feel it.
Service stabilization alert:
The primary sign that something is wrong with your Equinox is the “Service StabiliTrak” warning light.
Your Equinox could stop using cruise control if one of the wheel speed sensors isn’t operating properly.
Failure of the traction control:
The traction control system in your Equinox primarily uses the same sensors to determine whether a wheel has lost traction. Traction control prevents wheel spin, unlike StabiliTrak, which handles lateral issues (sliding). It’s possible to receive both the “Service StabiliTrak” and “Service Traction Control” messages at once.
Some customers may comment on any one of the following conditions:
• Intermittent malfunction indicator lamp on
• Service StabiliTrak message displayed on DIC
• Service Power Steering message displayed on DIC
• Service Vehicle Soon message displayed on DIC
When checking the vehicle for DTCs, the BCM, EBCM, ECM or TCM may be reporting high speed communication
codes U0073, U0100, U0101, U0121 or U0140 set as current or in history.
These conditions may be caused by one of the wires (in particular circuits 2500 and 2501) in the engine wiring
harness being chafed, cut or damaged due to contact with the right rear corner of the engine or cam/valve cover.
As cited in static.nhtsa.gov
The operation of the stabilitrak system
Your Chevy Equinox‘s StabiliTrak system uses advanced sensors to assess emergency response.
- Wheel speed sensors measure the velocity of each wheel by installing one on every hub. As a result, you can track your car’s performance with precise accuracy!
- The rotation rate sensor accurately measures lateral speed and vehicle centerline rotation. The steering wheel position sensor, on the other hand, tracks how many degrees have been turned from the home or neutral position.
- The control unit handles collecting data from three sensors and deciding when to activate StabiliTrak. When necessary, it may even signal the powertrain control module to reduce engine energy.
- The hydraulic system is designed to activate one brake at a time, usually in tandem with the anti-lock braking system (ABS). This system’s unique feature improves safety and braking control.
The sensors in StabiliTrak measure the Equinox’s stability and use a specific brake or less engine power to right it.
Take your Chevrolet Equinox, for instance. If it slides on snow or ice, StabiliTrak will engage one of its rear brakes to direct you in the correct path. This GM video demonstrates precisely how the system works!
Meaning of the StabiliTrak service message on your Equinox
What does service stabilitrak mean on my Chevy Equinox? It denotes that you have some kind of issue with the stabilitrak system of your vehicle. This may involve issues like airbag deployment, engine issues, etc.
Stabilitrak service light on a 2013 Chevy Equinox vs. the ABS light
They are not equivalent. Rollover accidents can be avoided with the help of the Stabilitrak system. The StabiliTrak system can recognize the incident and initiate the brakes automatically. This lessens the possibility of being hurt in a collision.
The car’s ABS light, on the other hand, serves to alert drivers when their anti-lock braking system may be malfunctioning. A tiny red bulb on the dashboard is what is issuing this warning.
When this light appears, it means that the ABS (anti-lock braking system) has detected a brake issue. To avoid your wheels locking up, the ABS will apply force to your brake pedal should any potential problems arise while you are on the road.
Reasons for the Chevy Equinox stabilitrak service light
A variety of factors can contribute to Equinox StabiliTrak system failure. However, wheel speed sensors tend to be one of the most prominent culprits. To accurately diagnose and repair this issue, you should invest in a reliable scanner. Doing so will allow you to pinpoint with ease what component is malfunctioning.
Wheel speed sensor
If your StabiliTrak system is not functioning properly, the most likely cause of this issue is damaged wheel speed sensors.
Your Equinox won’t be able to determine if your wheels are working in unison unless one of the wheel speed sensors is functioning properly. If this information isn’t detected, then you’ll likely see a “Service StabiliTrak” alert pop up on your screen.
Road grime, dirt, and salt can short circuit wheel speed sensor wiring harnesses, causing them to malfunction.
When you turn your Equinox left or right, the Service Stabilitrak alert usually means a front wheel wiring harness is failing. This could be because the wheel speed sensor isn’t always connected to its wire because it moves when the car turns.
The brake pedal switch
Your Equinox’s brake pedal switch is crucial to keeping the ECU and StabiliTrak control systems active. Without proper operation, these safety features could compromise your road safety.
The EGR valve in older Equinox models can cause the Service StabiliTrak warning to appear.
Misconfigured stability control module
Your Equinox Computer’s StabilTrak system may need to be reset or repaired.
Unsuitable tire size
If you don’t use General Motors’ recommended tire size for your Equinox, StabiliTrak may perform poorly.
After routine tests, check for StabiliTrak trouble codes when troubleshooting. Doing so may provide helpful indications of what could be causing the malfunction – possibly saving you time and effort!
How to fix service StabiliTrak Chevy Equinox
To fix the Service Stabilitrak or the Check Engine Light, you will need to take off your vehicle’s hood. Once you remove the hood, locate the fuse box. Once you locate the fuse box, turn off the power to your vehicle. Then complete the following steps:
- Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.
- Unscrew the two screws that hold the ignition switch assembly together.
- Pull the ignition switch assembly out of the steering column.
- Disconnect the positive terminal from the battery. (This is where the wire goes into the ignition switch.)
- Push the ignition switch assembly back into the steering column.
Methods for resetting Service StabiliTrak
Instructions for resetting the Service StabiliTrak without a scan tool
A small issue can become a disaster. Never ignore Service StabiliTrak Warnings. This “first-aid” procedure can help you reset the system. So, how to manually reset the service StabiliTrak without a scan tool? Just follow the steps below:
- Stop quickly.
- Stop your car for 20–30 seconds. Refreshing all systems resets them.
- Check the message after starting your engine.
If the problem persists, see an auto mechanic.
Reset the Service StabiliTrak feature on your vehicle with a scan tool
- Pull over and search for the diagnostic port, which is typically underneath your dashboard.
- For the best performance, we suggest investing in either an iCarsoft i900 or an Autel MS300 car diagnostic scanner.
- To begin, ignite the car’s engine and then power up your scanner.
- Discover the perfect Chevy for your needs. Then, utilize the scanner to identify any potential trouble codes in your car.
- Carefully note the error codes and their corresponding meanings shown on the screen. Don’t panic. The same issue may be indicated by multiple fault codes.
- If you’re able to, unplug your scanner and turn off the car engine before attempting any fixes. If that’s not an option for you, though, be sure to reach out to a certified auto mechanic instead.
- Once the issue(s) have been resolved, reconnect your scanner and start your car. You should then be able to erase the fault codes. Please take note that until all stability concerns are addressed, your vehicle will not permit this process.
- After resolving the issue, turn off your car’s engine and safely remove the scanner.
- After allowing the engine to rest for around 20–30 seconds, carefully turn it on.
How to reset StabiliTrak Service on a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox
1. Take out the ignition switch’s battery.
2. Unplug the battery’s negative terminal (the black one).
3. Join the positive terminal (red) to the engine block’s ground terminal.
4. Reattach the battery’s negative terminal.
5. After starting the car, let it idle until the check light illuminates.
Disable the StabiliTrak feature on Chevy Equinox
How to turn off service stabilitrak? To deactivate Chevy Equinox service stabilitrak, maintain pressure on the brake pedal until the engine shuts off. Once that is done, take your foot off the brake pedal to finish disabling Stabili Trak.
Maintaining stabilitrak service Chevy Equinox
When your Equinox is brought in for Stabilitrak service, mechanics will check a few places. Stabilitrak interacts with many vehicle systems, so they’ll need to check several systems to find the issue.
This may apply to the tires as well as the steering and braking systems. After inspecting your car, the team will try to identify and fix your Stabilitrak issue.
StabiliTrak repair cost for Chevy Equinox
Stabilitrak repairs typically cost between $80-$200. That’s not bad for a vehicle repair, especially in light of how intricate some of these components can be.
Is it safe to activate a 2012 Chevy Equinox with StabiliTrak?
Can I drive my car if it says service stabilitrak? You are absolutely fine to drive the vehicle. You can operate a vehicle while the Service Stabilitrak Chevy Equinox 2012 is engaged. Make sure, though, that you have double-checked everything that could activate StabiliTrak. If you don’t do this, important components might get hurt.
FAQs Chevrolet Equinox service stabilitrak
Will an accident occur if the service StabiliTrak Chevy Equinox 2016 light is on?
Yes, if installed improperly, this could result in accidents. The lights might interfere with one another if they are placed too close together, turning off at different times. The lights would go out simultaneously as a result of this.
What effect does StabiliTrak have on the 2015 Chevy Equinox’s engine?
The Service Stabiltrak system is designed to halt any issues quickly before they become major problems. Sputtering or engine smoke while driving should prompt vehicle service.
If your car is making peculiar noises, it’s time to visit a mechanic. Depending on how it is driven, each automobile produces a distinct sound. Thus, only an experienced technician can identify if repairs or maintenance are necessary.
What should you do when your car says service StabiliTrak?
Service StabiliTrak should never be ignored. It indicates a Stability Control System issue. It can spiral out of control. Have your mechanic fix it right away.
Is StabiliTrak really that crucial?
Why? Stabilitrak, a proprietary technology, makes driving in Oshkosh and Campbellsport safer. Stabilitrak monitors driver input and road conditions to help you maintain vehicle control at all times.
To conclude, before repairing a Chevrolet Equinox service stabilitrak, do your research. Professional mechanics can identify the Equinox service stabilitrak message and diagnose the problem. Thanks for visiting mbhconcours.org!